January 27, 2013

snow eating season

our crib in the frozen hood

I have showered and gotten dressed every day this weekend which is against my religion (I'm a Pajama-ist). After peeling off my jeans, I am thinking about how ironic it is that when I was in my teens and twenties, able to wear anything and look good, baggy was in style: oversized Champion sweatshirts, flannel shirts, carpenter pants, and bulky sweaters were cool. On Wednesday I will officially hit my mid-thirties and now that I am somehow both pear and apple shaped, skin tight denim and thin leggings abound.  You know it's bad when you contemplate wearing Spanx to workout.



Snow White and Super Belle walk into a bar...


even fairies need naps


Norelle started swimming lesson at the U of M through Learn to Swim. As there are only 3 kids in her class, she gets lots of individualized attention. She was nervous prior to class so I gave her a mantra which she kept repeating to herself, “I am safe and I can do this!  I am safe and I can to this!”. She loved her lesson and trusts the teacher to keep her safe. Tomorrow, she has her five year check up and I hear the shots are ex-ten-sive, a fact which I have not mentioned to her. It's gonna be ROUGH! Here is a conversation we had this week:

Nori: Momma, what does inedible mean?

Me: It means something you can’t eat

Nori: Oh. What does outedible mean?


playing with Aunt Jaimie

Every night at bedtime while I am cuddling Henny, I quiz her asking her to say different words or point out different body parts. One sure way to get her to do something is to say don’t do it. So I said, "whatever you do, don’t raise you arms” and of course she raised her arms. Then I said, “whatever you do, don’t kick your feet” and she kicks her feet. I added, as a joke, “whatever you do, don’t toot!”... sure enough she tenses up her whole body and lets out a huge toot.  I laughed thereby reinforcing this behavior. Being the ham that she is, she now toots on command to entertain the crowd. I am turning her in to Henny Boo Boo.

an original  Nori Seltz


My dad is out of the hospital after a five day "tune-up", as he calls it. Turns out he has a clot in his portal vein which is causing his liver to clog (medical term) and ammonia to build up in his body. All this and pancan, too!  He is home again doing very well! I am only driving him slightly bonkers checking in!

match.com

In a related note, I have been having major anxiety (or angcite as I once saw it spelled) this week. Instead of freaking out over the real things going on my life, I panic when I look at a huge pile of unmatched socks. Or I start worrying about  my in-laws remodeling their kitchen next year. Yes, I know this is weird, displaced anxiety and the least I do could is focus on poverty, famine, or global warming but no, it's socks. I am trying to cope by doing yoga and meditation (don't worry, I am not going to get a Namaste bumper sticker).  I went through a very similar episode when my mom was sick and also when my feet were really bad. Anxiety, it's my thing.


hands off, he's all mine


Happy Birthday to all the January birthdays out there: Papa Michael turned 81, Aunt Jaime turned 25, 
Grandma Sylvia is 91, and Wendy is about 50-ish, and of course this old hag will hit  35 this week. I have my whole birthday planned: day off of work, coffee with Missy, yoga, 1.5 hour massage, nap, watch Nori at ballet, Punch pizza with my family, and snow cones for dessert. I even picked out my gifts because I am  an ungrateful B a take charge person. Jake planned a real date and even got a babysitter for Friday night. What a guy!


a much needed night with great friends!!



 And finally, our basement...now with walls!


family room



play room


walls cleverly disguise beams and pipes
I think the stripper pole will go here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know when you were mentioning the January birthdays.... did you forget you have a daughter who was born on Jan. 18th??? HMMM?? Shame on you...add that to your stress level.

Oh well, I still love you very much, you crazy loon.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I Love you soooo much Meggy! You make me laugh with every post!

Aunt Wendy