June 03, 2009

A baseball post...for Steve.

As you may know, I am a true sports fiend. I like the word fiend because it conveys my unnatural passion for athletics. I'm am probably like this because I was raised by a single mom, never played sports myself and occasionally visited my dad who once cheered when the football crossed the "seventy" yard line. It was kismet when that I married Jake and met his dad. Pretty much all we think about are MN sports.

Some things about baseball confuse me. Why are there a million names for different names for hits like: dingers, bloopers, poppers, dribblers, zingers, dongers, ploopers, etc? Seems weird. Why can't the base runner just run all over the over field to avoid getting tagged? Wouldn't it be more fun if he could dart around in the outfield, weaving in and out, until someone dropped the ball and then sprint to the base! How come sometimes the base guys have to tag the runner and sometimes they just step on the base? How does the catcher remember all the different hand signals to give the pitcher when I heard they change the signs up all the time? And how immature and ridiculously hilarious is it when the coach yells right in the umpire's face, nose to nose, like a bratty kid trying to get grounded? They say "Oh no Megan, he's just sticking up for his guys" but I am so embarrassed when he does that!

How about this new rule I came up with called, "banking runs"? Have I mentioned this before? If the Twins win a game by more than 5 runs, they can bank all those extra runs, minus 5. Then, they can choose to use them in future games. So, when they win by 20, they have 15 runs to play some other day when they really need them! The catch is that no one, especially not the other team, will know when/if they are going to play their runs until the last minute. Thus, no one will know who is really winning until the last minute. Clever, huh? And then you have to wonder, does the other team (not the Twins) have banked runs that they are going play?

I think I am taking this game to a new level...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first 5 adjectives seem to me to describe the trajectory or the action of the ball hit, "dongers" seems to portray when a home run is hit, the bell tolls for the pitcher, and "ploopers" is a word I've never heard. As far as the catchers signals, I don't think most of the time the pitcher knows either, it just looks good. And as far as managers being "nose to nose", let's hope they gargle occasionally! Next question? GS

Melissa Ho said...

you sure do think about this a lot for not really being a sports fan. Maybe you just need to come out and admit you really love it.

Team Deitering said...

You're hilarious! I do kind of like the idea however....

Anonymous said...

Now that would even make ME watch a game! It would certainly make it a lot more interesting!

Love,
Anonymous Aunt Jill

Sabrina said...

You are so obsessed with sports!!!!
Bank that!

...sensible of shoe said...

When the game is on I look at the TV but I am not really watching. If you ask me what just happened 99% of the time, I have no idea.

Anonymous said...

You DO have a lot of extra time on your hands, don't you?? Mom