September 24, 2008

Seattle


We're back! Did you miss me? We had a wonderful trip, Norelle was a super traveler and it was fun to get away!

What did we do you ask? Well, I suppose I can give you the highlights...

Thursday

After a smooth Sun Country flight, we hit up Pike's Place. We wandered around the crowded streets admiring the fruit stands, flowers and fresh fish & other sea creatures. It was a cool day so it was fun to be bundled up and have clam chowder outside. All the bakeries were awesome, I found a white chocolate raspberry mini-cheesecake and Jake found some yum cookies for dessert.

Gold Elite

Nori checks the wings for proper alignment


This is what we should have been eating


Just like Rosemarie's Floral & Gift, back in the day


We had calamari later that night, in her honor

Friday
The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island (I kept calling it Brisbane) was sweet, it was cool to see the sights. Lunch at Isla Bonita was delish and Nori enjoyed the Mexican rice, too. We walked around the quaint little town and once again, Jake found some cookies at a bakery. We like to eat.


"Look Dad...Is that Francis Bean?"

Bainbridge beach (named this myself)

Erin & Andrew hosted a pre-wedding par-tay at Pike Brewing Company where we finally caught up with all our Winona friends and the bride & groom to-be. It was an early night because our baby was still on MN time but we stayed out along enough to try the Seattle beer and hot wings!


" I like Pike"

Trying to keep a very tired baby happy

Saturday
Bused it to the Fremont Neighborhood which was our favorite with all the little boutiques and coffee shops. We had a killer Greek breakfast at Costas Opa: mochas and egg scrambles with feta, spinach and artichokes. Shh... don't tell but I found the coolest Christmas present for Nori, a board book set with artwork by artists like Picasso & Degas along with silly baby rhymes. We bought some dark chocolate from a chocolate factory, toured a greenhouse and walked through the Oktoberfest celebrations.


Waiting and waiting in the rain for the bus...

That night was the grand finale with Erin & Andrew's wedding under a tent at the Luna Park Seawall! Yes, it rained but it was one of the most heartfelt, personalized ceremonies I have ever been to and I am so thrilled that Erin & Andrew found each other through such an unlikely encounter (in a corn field in Iowa). The reception was gorgeous, they had beechwood for a guest book, beer mugs & homemade CD's as gifts and loving family & friends everywhere. Cheers Turpins!

Sunday
After another public transportation debacle (really Seattle? my advice: rent a car!), we made it to the Capitol Hill Neighborhood. Not our favorite place but we had an amazing lunch at the beautiful decorated Basil Chile Thai that was worth the trip.



"More rice please!"


Spicy light fixtures, extra heat


Secret garden?


The flight home was a little restless for a baby who just wanted to sleep - mom's collarbone did not make a good pillow. It was wonderful to take our first family vacation together, something we had dreamed about and are grateful we had the resources to do. We have lots of memories and photos to save forever. And now, you do too.


Seltzes leave Seattle
Exhausted!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time! I've never made it out of the Seattle airport!

Love you!

Anonymous Aunt Jill

Sabrina said...

I got exhausted just reading all of that. So glad you had a good time!

K and/or K said...

Sounds like a blast! Welcome back to the sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Hey!! We thank you sooo much for being here!! Just got back from our honeymoon yesterday :) So happy to hear you had a great time and it sounds like you explored a ton which I am happy to see...thanks for posting all of the pics!! Thanks for your friendship!!!! Love, Erbear