June 22, 2008

Daycare dilemas

So, I am hunting for a new daycare. Let's just say our current one is not meeting my expectations. Today we interviewed the perfect woman but she is in such high demand that she has 3 families to choose from, even thought she is only open M-Th. Are we pressing our luck to hope we are picked considering we were just chosen from a book for 65 families to be Norelle's parents? Do we still have "it"?

This new daycare is in our neighborhood, right over in Mac-Groveland area in a lovely old house which is super clean and organized. She only take 4 kids and she has a structured schedule which includes circle time, reading, a pre-school curriculum by Mother Goose Time, a music therapist who comes in once a week and other educational components incorporated into free-play. They even take field trips to the Como Zoo, the Stillwater apple orchard and the library in her giant church van. Plus, she has a great backyard with a swing set and lots of toys.

I often think about starting my own SMALL in-home daycare in order to be home with my baby and other little cuties. We could steal the Mother Goose Time and music thing easy (I would teach the kids a thing or two about the real world). For lunch I could finally develop some great culinary skills, better late than never. I could turn our mud room into a diaper changing station right next to the bathroom/potty station. Glamorous, no? I have a great toy closet in the living room and we could rearrange everything to turn it into a play room during the week. The yard...well that's a tiny issue (literally) but we have parks close by with hardly any weirdos. My guest room could be the nap room although where ever would I put my real guests? Also, I would finally have to do something major about our insulation problems in the basement (i.e. get some).

Then again, this idea could go the way of cookie dough on a stick...a gem never brought to fruition.


3 comments:

jodilee0123 said...

You could do daycare--totally! My girlfriend does it part-time--in the afternoons only--makes a few extra bucks and is able to stay at home. And, depending on how many you have. . . you don't have to be licensed.

Sabrina said...

I'm in... I will be your ASSistant.

K and/or K said...

can my unconceived child on the other side of the globe get on that waiting list?