ICYDK, adoptions are expensive. You thought diapers and formula were bad, that's nothing. We were lucky enough to benefit from a wonderful tax credit which made our adoption more affordable. But this awesome credit is set to expire in 2010, long before Nori can have a sibling or two to fight with. We don't want that, do we?
If you want to help families like ours (and my good friends Jodi , Kelly and Alisha) be able to afford the fees associated with the adoption, then please contact your senators and representatives by clicking on the links to ask for their support of these bills. A full article explaining this issue can be found here
In 2010 the basic federal adoption tax credit is $12,170. The tax credit is part of a package of laws titled the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (EGTRRA) that has a "sunset" clause effective at the end of 2010. That means that if nothing is done before the end of the year, the sun will set on the increased benefits and the basic adoption credit for 2011 will revert to only $5,000. There are currently two bills in congress that propose to eliminate that sunset clause. Those bills are the Adoption Tax Relief Guarantee Act of 2009 and include H.R. 213 and S. 2816.
Everyone who emails their representatives (and tells me) will get an individual shout out on my blog (or candy, if you prefer to be anonymous). THANKS!!!
4 comments:
I support the adoption tax credit because it is just one more thing to help all kids, not just babies, find adoptive homes. Statistics show that older waiting children or special needs kids in the foster care system are typically adopted by much lower income families than babies, and that when these adoptions fall through it is often due to financial hardship of the adoption process.
There is health insurance to cover the cost of having a baby through biological birth (it costs about $16,000 now), so there should be something to ease the enormous costs of adding a child to your family through adoption.
I have called my reps (but they are so sick of me, it may not help :).Good luck!
I did it, I did it! Male K of K&K emailed Franken, Klobuchar, and Mccollum! And Charlene Unitis, Sanitation Commissioner of St. Paul, District 4...not because she can help, but because she probably doesn't get much email.
I did it. . . a long time ago. I certainly hope something is done! We are all just ordinary people with ordinary budgets who also dream of having a family!
I DID IT TOO!!!! Just wanted you to know that I finally did it, ok? We need more babies.
Love, Mom/Gramsie
Post a Comment