July 27, 2012

institutionalized

6 hours and 17 minutes ago my girls piled in Grandma Liz's red van and left for Winona.  When I suggested this weekend a month ago I thought it was a fantastic idea idea, but now that it is here I am having trouble relaxing without them. I have been alone maybe 3 days in the last 14 months so I truly do not know what to do myself. I am used to giving 753 hugs and kisses a day so I feel kinda empty without my babes  demanding "something cold for my tongue" or climbing up my body to flop down into nursing position and scream for "mi mi!".

After they left I went back to sleep for 45minutes. Then, desperate to take care of someone, I took Dorothy (we have a dog?) down to the river for a long walk. I have cleaned the house, showered, and taken a  trip to Target. Yes, I have already called to check on them once. And yes, I have also called Jake at work 3 times to tell him how lonely I am and I must have sounded so pathetic that he suggested I go buy a new outfit for our date tomorrow night, despite his recent pep talk to me about staying on a budget (what's that?). I will probably just be learning how to  relax when they return on Sunday. Breaks are good, they remind me how much I enjoy all aspects of motherhood. In the meantime, I hope to have some old-school times with Jake...we have big plans to order a pizza and watch the Olympics tonight before spend tomorrow staining the fence while fighting over which radio station to listen to. Yeah, that's how we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't parenthood truly a blessing? You make me smile because you make me remember those feelings of helplessness AND of being so lucky to have those two little people so completely dependent on you for everything. Count your blessings honey, and love those two little girls as much and as hard as you can... they grow up all too quickly. I love you. Mom