May 18, 2011

My Dad

The Palbicki Beaks at Casey's Senior recital

My dad, Bill, was just diagnosed with Stage I pancreatic cancer. I was with him last Wednesday when we got the terrible news after an endoscopy. He has a 1-2 cm tumor on his pancreatic bile duct which is also wrapped 180 degrees around a vein. He had been in for a battery of tests (blood, ultrasound, CT, CT with contrast) after having some nausea and high liver enzymes, but we never expected to hear this.

On Monday, Dad, Linda & I met with Dr. Vickers at University of Minnestoa Medical Center who recommended 6 weeks of chemo and radiation to shrink the tumor away from the vein followed by a complicated surgery known as a Whipple procedure to remove the head of the pancreas along with the gallbladder and part of the intestines. There may be more chemo after surgery as well.

My dad is feeling pretty good most days, although he has some jaundice & itching due to the bile duct issue, but he will get a stent soon to help with that. His spirits are high, as usual, and we are all eager to get started on treatment next week, we are just waiting on an appointment with an oncologist as Masonic Cancer Clinic.

Needless to say, this is very scary and sad for all. Dad's Grandpa Jack had it, as did his brother Rick so that is evidence of a hereditary component which means Casey & I need to see a geneticist to discuss our risks and prevention strategies. Coincidentally, my Grandma Audrey also had it (although we were not blood related as she was my stepgrandma).

Please pray for for peace and healing for my dad! We love you, Dad!

Nori & Papa Bill on his 59th birthday last month

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

Oh Megan, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how scary this must be for all of you. I will be praying for your dad!!! Lots!

K and/or K said...

Sending up prayers and virtual hugs to you! I really hope this all goes well for your dad and your family.

Anonymous said...

I am praying as hard as one can pray! If there is anything I can do, let me know. For your dad too..... He will beat this! He is a strong and wonderful man!

T

jodilee0123 said...

Sending my prayers and hugs. Let me know if you need anything! I love the photo of Papa and Nori! I see where she gets her smile! :0)

Anonymous said...

Megan I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I will be pray pray praying for him and for a complete healing! I know your dad is a great man! Much love! Sarah

bluecollardaughter said...

Man, you are really getting the crosses to carry right now. We are praying boldly, Megan--for Dad and you and your fam! You are a always such a big encourager for everybody--I wish there was more I could do. Please remember God's got your back. Love and hugs from Ang.