May 05, 2008

Maui

Maui was so relaxing and wonderful! I don't think we even realized how exhausted we were until we got there. It was perfect timing for these new parents. While it was sad to say goodbye to Norelle we called her everyday and she was whooping it up in Winona.

Here' a peek inside our trip...

We stayed a night in Kahului after a quick bite at the Flatbread Pizza Co. in Paia. The next day we drove the windy road to Hana trying to find all the waterfalls and natural pools we could. Here Jake dives into a pool under a waterfall that we hiked to.

Another lovely waterfall. Apparently there is a big drought on the island so many of the waterfalls and natural pools have dried up. Our favorite, the Venus Pool, was nowhere near as gorge as last year but we swam in it any way. We ran across many local Hawaiians in the spots because it was a Sunday and they weren't trilled to see tourists. There is a movement to "keep Maui Hawaiian" and prevent the sprawl of tourists. Sorry dudes.

More Road to Hana sights...

Cottage in Hana where we stayed 2 nights. This place was amazing! We picked up some very expensive groceries in Kahului and made our own meals. We had 3 lenais, 2 bedrooms & baths and full kitchen all to ourselves. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone who wants to get off the beaten path. Thinks of it as your cabin on the volcano. And oh yes, we took long naps everyday!

Flowers at roadside stands. We also picked up some Pineapple bread since they were out of the Chocolate Banana.

Ah, the hidden Red Sand Beach. So beautiful except for the exhibitionist dude who was naked and kept flashing all the girls by moving his towel around to sit right in front of us, spread eagle.




At the Ritz Carlton in Kapalui for Wells Fargo's Concord Elite. Can you say extravagant? We had fresh flower leis, henna tattoos, games, photos with parrots and old cars, dancers, bands, massages, open bar and endless amounts of food... the crab legs and roasted vegetables were the best! Once night they had something called the Maui Food & Music Festival where they brought in the top gourmet chefs to set up sampler stations of yummy sushi or Asian ribs as well as many local musicians. It was brilliant (as the London Bachelor would say).





Our on the catamaran/snorkel adventure. The seas where very choppy so were unable to snorkel (thank God) but we hung out on the boat relaxing in the sun. We saw a mom & baby whale and they were splashing around, looking adorable. We met lots of WF people from all over the country.... I even took a cycle-yoga class with some ladies from Laguna Beach. Real life Newpsies! (who were actually very nice, I did not ask them if they knew LC but I wanted to).


Final night, East Meets West. Imagine the fanciest wedding you have been to and multiply it by 10. They had all kinds of East Indian inspired elaborate decor, dancers, and gourmet food. The West came in when we moved to the Dessert Buffet to hear the surprise band play. It was a Grammy-winning county band called Sugarland. We had never heard of them either but FYI the lead singer looks like a Southern Amy Poehler. Anway, it was fun! All week people were wondering who would be performing so there lots of bunk rumors going around about Bon Jovi or Jack Johnson.



It was an amazing vacation, thank you WellsFargo! We were so lucky to have this opportunity!
We missed you Norelle!

8 comments:

Sabrina said...

You know the saying, If you cant say something nice, then don't say anything at all?

silence silence, crickets chirping, silence, silence...

ok im over it... Im glad you had a fab trip!!!! Looks amazing!

Sabrina said...

WAIT! you saw sugarland??? did they sing STAY? the sappy love ballad??? no fair!

K and/or K said...

Go see Forgetting Sarah Marshall if you want to revisit Hawaii! If you're into R comedies that is. HILARIOUS! I thought of your trip both times I saw it.
Glad you had a blast! Welcome back!

jodilee0123 said...

What an AWESOME trip!! I will just have to settle for looking at your beautiful pictures. . . can Jake win a trip next year for 50? Oh poo--I would be to scared to fly anyway!! :0)

Sabrina said...

I echo Kelly! go see it!!! go go go!

...sensible of shoe said...

I know, it was sick and wrong but I had no choice but to go and waster their money. Thoese corporate tax breaks need to benefit someone.

I don't know if they sang that song cuz the only one I recognized was Beyonce's Irreplaceable..."to the left, to the left"!

Sarah said...

wow!!!!!! looks amazing..


are you sucking your thumb in the picture of you taking a nap? :)

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.