Cloth Diapers: Saving the world or truly idiotic?

We are using cloth diapers called bumGenius! 3.0. They work really well *if* you get them on snugly. They are one-size-fits-all, so in theory, they should fit her until she is potty trained. They have snaps to size they can grow with her and Velcro tabs so no pins required. Yes, you do need to spray them after the Deuce Fairy visits but we have a sprayer on our toilet and a wet bag for storage until washes. I do a load of diapers about every other day since we have 24 diapers but only about 18 in circulation (she so is small we needed to buy the newborn liners until she beefs up and can use the regular ones). They cost about $17 a diaper but I got them for about $14 due to a friends' discount. We will need to use disposable at daycare and for trips out but at home this is the protocol.

Questions: Would you do this? Is it cost effective? Is is actually greener since we do more laundry? Do you even care? Discuss amongst yourselves...whoever leaves the best comment wins.
9 comments:
I applaud you but I think you are nuts! But, being an Un-Mother I am probably not the one to ask. I guess if everyone thought like me every landfill would be loaded with disposable diapers. Heck, the ones you filled 30 years ago have probably not yet broken down.
Aunt Jill?
My mom used cloth diapers on me... I turned ok, or did I?
Personally, I am too lazy to use cloth, just give me the ol' fillin' up the landfill kind.
Per my ag research, there is going to be a major water shortage in the future so this definitely does not help the situation. I would say cloth diapers are a net positive, but not as green as some may claim.
What about Elimination Communication? NO diapers at all!
i like the idea. i'm trying to be more green. the duece fairy scares me a little so thats one reason i would not want to do this. i feel bad that i used to make my mom wipe my buttox...i would say to about age 6.
Cloth diapers are one thing, Elimination communication is another! I don't think cloth are for everyone but if you can do it thats great! I also think they are better for the baby's skin.
Well. . . my mom used cloth on us because there really wasn't anything else. My little sister is 12 years younger than me and I remember the very first disposables and boy how they have changed--and so have the cloth diapers. I think they would be easier to use the younger the child. . . Jakob has some pretty big and smelly poops now--and I would rather not spray it into the toilet and have to smell it any longer by cleaning it off the diaper. I do think that they are making disposables that break down quicker. . .but it still pains me to think about all the landfill space taken up with them AND with the poop too!!!!!!!! I'm thankful that some people are able to use cloth--it comes down to what works best for a family. So. . .will they hold in all the diarrhea? Disposables leak too, sometimes. May as well do the elimanation communication. . . or just let them pee on the couch like Jakob did the other night when he escaped from his bath--all the while saying "pee pee." You would think he could go on the pot! :0)
Of course you are saving the world, but I think she should poop in our yard. We are going to plant a garden this summer, but we are told it takes over a year to get compost going, so we need to fertilize this year. She could contribute to the nourishment of our community on the East side.
Post a Comment