July 21, 2011

Hanging on!

finally...sleep

Oh my, life is kicking my butt! Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations for this maternity leave. Okay, I know I did! I envisioned picnics, zoo trips, long naps, and glittery butterflies. My leave with Nori was wonderful but the unfortunate combination of back pain, heat, and house repairs meets parenting a newborn and feisty 3.5 year old while covered in dog hair has nearly done me in. Two kids are way more than twice the work of one!

They say age 3 is harder than age 2 and now I know it's true. What I wouldn't give for Nori to have an autonomous bathroom break or to put on her own shoes. They are Crocs Sweetie, just slip them on! Henley is an easy girl right now as she just nurses and cuddles, but Nori is adjusting to sharing my attention, loss of structure from no daycare, and a mother who insists on dental hygiene.

I am doing my best to survive the chaos, namely asking for help. Thank you to everyone who has offered us support. The girls and I made an emergency trip to Winona to take shelter in the A/C and so I could have help taking care of them. We paid someone to clean our house. My spunky first born is going on vacation to Camp Seltzbicki for a whole week coming up. And Jake & I have a date planned on Saturday (just dinner and a concert by little band called U2). Someday the hole in my roof will be fixed, the temps will cool, my back will stop hurting, Nori will let me comb her hair, and Kim K & I will laugh and laugh about these follies. Until then, forgive me as I try to survive my summer "off".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a joy to have you during your "emergency visit" and I loved having you. It WILL get better, I promise you. I am happy to have her as are the other grandparents, I am sure, and am looking forward to having more fun with her. I love her to the moon and back, as I do you and Henley. Nori is just going through some very traumatic changes and doesn't know how to deal with it yet. It will happen and when it does, your "glittery butterflies" will be a FLOCK of them. I love all my girls! Mom/Gramsie

Sabrina said...

Hang in there!! You are an awesome mom!

jodilee0123 said...

Megs--no worries--going from one to two is really really really the most difficult--except when you have three, you can't afford to pay someone to clean your house! haha! I hope you feel better soon. Not feeling well makes it all so much more difficult. You will make it through--you have survived so much already! I'm here if you need me, although, I don't have a quiet peaceful clean place to offer serenity. Let me know if you need anything!

bluecollardaughter said...

You guys are absolutely gorgeous in your fatigue. Pay anyone everything you can to do anything that helps. But rake in the freebie favors too. Call if I can send a meal or sumpin. Thinking of you...