February 24, 2011

conch fritter


A lovely, sunny, relaxing week with Jake Seltz, husband extraordinaire, is coming to a close. We feel rejuvenated and de-stressed, almost ready for real life once again! We have it on good authority that Norelle is alive and well, saying the cutest things.

We read some good books, especially Open and The Help, hit the gym, visited the straw market where we got an adorable purse for Nori with her name sewn on it and a "beautiful shell necklace" which was her request. Did I mention they make the most wonderful non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiris here? Fresh fruit and so good! The Bahamas are known for their fried conch which is not only delicious, but also serves as a good swear word. As in "Oh conch fritter, I got sunburned again! When am I going to remember to reapply my "very water repellent" organic sunscreen?" Or, as a noun like, "Ouch!! The baby keeps kicking me in the conch fritter!".

While this was not a cultural trip by any stretch of the conch fritter, we did accidentally acquire some history when we ventured out to The Fish Fry for some conch and daiquiris. Did I tell you how wonderful they are? Turns out the famed Fish Fry is not a lone restaurant but rather a string of shack-au-rants along the beach. In the '80's the local fisherman used to sell their fresh catch there and sometime their wives and girlfriends would come down and cook the fresh fish. Over time, this turned in the place for locals to eat so the government made them get licenses and open up a legit establishments, hence the Fish Fry was born. Oh, and the daiquiris! Also seems like a good place to buy pot, if you are looking...


That's us (not pictured: Andre Agassi)

our balcony view

Da Daq Shack

local flora

Gilligan's Island

Jake snorkeled and later I swan with him, only after dancing to Baby Mama with the catamaran crew

Bahama Daddy and Bahama Mama

p.s. I left out the part about me puking in the hotel's flower planter. You are welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Momma.... looks like paradise. So glad you 2+1/2 are having a wonderful time. Happy you are enjoying some well deserved time off.

All my Love...
Wendy